This pizza has a full-flavored, crackerlike crust with a pleasing if slight chew.
Learn: How to Make Pizza
grams flaxseed meal (about 1 tablespoon)
grams gluten-free flour blend about 4 cups, purchased or homemade (see recipe)
teaspoons kosher salt
grams active-dry yeast (about 4 teaspoons)
cup extra virgin olive oil, more as needed
Cornmeal for dusting
garlic cloves, peeled and sliced paper-thin
cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
cup roughly chopped olives
pound regular or buffalo mozzarella, sliced
cup grated parmesan cheese
Crushed red chile flakes to taste
Flaky sea salt, optional
- Pour 2 tablespoons boiling-hot water over flaxseed. Whisk quickly until you have a thick paste. Cool.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the flour and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, gently stir together the yeast and olive oil with 1/2 cup warm water. Let it rest a few minutes to activate the yeast.
- Add the flaxseed to the dry ingredients and mix for 10 seconds. Pour the yeast-oil-water mixture into the dry ingredients. With the mixer on medium, mix for a few moments, until the dough comes together into a soft ball around the paddle and feels soft and pliable. If the dough feels too dry, add a little more warm water in small amounts until the dough feels soft and pliable. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 450 degrees, with a rack in the upper third. If you have a pizza stone, put it on the rack and let it heat. If not, sprinkle a pizza tray or baking sheet with gluten-free cornmeal.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out each piece between two pieces of parchment paper into 1/4-inch thick rounds. (Put one in the refrigerator while baking the first.) Remove the top parchment layer, and gently flip the dough onto the pizza stone or baking tray. Remove the other piece of parchment paper. Crimp the edge if you like. Brush the top with olive oil.
- Bake until the dough has started to crisp up and brown at the edges, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and add half the garlic slices, grape tomatoes, olives, mozzarella, parmesan and chile flakes. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for about 8 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Drizzle with more oil and, if you like, flaky salt.
- Repeat with remaining dough and toppings.